Breastfeeding Works: How to Support Nursing Employees and Students
Tuesday, August 21, 2018
12:00 PM PT | 3 PM ET
In celebration of National Breastfeeding Month, you’re invited to “Breastfeeding Works: How to Support Nursing Employees and Students.” This webinar is the first in the Breastfeeding Works series co-hosted by ICEA and partners to offer training on practical and legal solutions that help nursing parents overcome common barriers to breastfeeding faced upon return to work and school. So much is at stake, yet a large majority of women are not provided the workplace and campus support they need. Low-income workers and people of color are the most likely to face discrimination.
This inaugural webinar in the Breastfeeding Works series will give lactation support providers and other breastfeeding advocates the information and tools they need to counsel breastfeeding workers and students. The expert panelists will cover the national and state laws that protect breastfeeding parents from discrimination, and the laws that require lactation accommodations at work and school.
The webinar will:
- Offer guidance on what lactation consultants and other healthcare providers can do to best support their patients, including how to write effective work notes.
- Using vignettes based on real-world scenarios, the experts will walk you through key considerations in counseling parents who are facing challenges at work or school.
- Introduce you to the top resources available when you or your patient need additional support.
Submit your most pressing questions on this topic ahead of the webinar via the online form so that they can be addressed during the presentation.
- Cheryl Lebedevitch, United States Breastfeeding Committee
- Galen Sherwin, American Civil Liberties Union Women’s Rights Project
- Jessica Lee, Center for WorkLife Law, University of California Hastings College of Law
- Liz Morris, Center for WorkLife Law, University of California Hastings College of Law
- Sarah Brafman, A Better Balance
Breastfeeding Works: How to Support Nursing Employees and Students is hosted by:
- A Better Balance
- American Civil Liberties Union Women’s Rights Project
- Association of Maternal & Child Health Programs
- Center for WorkLife Law, University of California Hastings College of Law
- International Childbirth Education Association
- La Leche League USA
- National WIC Association
- Reaching Our Sisters Everywhere (ROSE)
- United States Breastfeeding Committee
- United States Lactation Consultant Association
The International Childbirth Education Association (ICEA) is a professional organization that supports educators and health care professionals who believe in freedom to make decisions based on knowledge of alternatives in family-centered maternity and newborn care.