ICEA Certified Birth Doulas are trained professionals who recognize birth as a key life experience. They attend and support the physical, emotional, informational and social needs of women in labor. In addition, they offer new parents advocacy, guidance and referrals to community resources. These resources often-times encompass many spheres including but not limited to self-care, lactation, and healthy parenting.
Get Certified Now
The ICEA Birth Doula Certification Program verifies that birth doulas have the necessary education and skills to enable them to facilitate expectant parents’ mental and physical preparation for pregnancy, labor, birth and parenthood. The program promotes the concept of the birth doula as an advocate of the natural process of childbirth and the right of the expectant parent to make informed decisions based on knowledge of alternatives.
- Part I – Introducing the Doula
- Part II – Meeting Your Clients
- Part III – Labor: An Overview
- Part IV – Labor: The Process
- Part V – Comfort Measures, Coping Skills, and Pain Relief
- Part VI – Family Integration
- Part VII – Coping with the Unusual
- Part VII – Business Matters
This certification pathway is the right choice for you if:
- You are currently certified with another recognized birth doula organization, such as DONA or CAPPA or Bradley, and have been actively practicing for a minimum of two years.
- You have been certified as a birth doula within the last two years through ICEA or another recognized birth doula organization, such as DONA or CAPPA or Bradley, and actively practiced for a minimum of two years while certified, but your certification has expired within the last two years.
Steps to Certification
ICEA is dedicated to maintaining a rigorous standard of excellence, and thus all ICEA certifications are valid for three years. At the completion of the three years, all ICEA Certified Birth Doulas must apply for recertification.
ICEA believes that birth doulas are continually educating themselves and learning from their clients. Recertification validates commitment to the profession and ensures the continuation of receiving the benefits of ICEA affiliation.
Start your path towards becoming a certified birth doula today.
Expand your skillset and gain your clients' and employers' trust with our industry-leading ICEA certification today.