New Certification Process Has Launched
by Debra Tolson, RN, BSN, ICCE, IBCLC, CPST
I am thrilled to announce that the new certification process has officially launched! Streamlining the process to better serve you has been our main priority since January’s Strategic Planning meeting, and the board and I are eager to offer these great new opportunities.
ICEA is now your one-stop shop where you can get all of your maternal-child health certifications at an affordable price!
Below are the general changes to each program. If you are currently certified through ICEA, specific changes related to what you owe will be sent in the coming weeks.
Changes for All ICEA Certification Programs
- Membership is now included with all certification payments so you don’t have to pay ICEA several times in each certification cycle.
- Membership and certification deadlines are now the same so it’s easier to remember when your certification is up for renewal.
- We now offer more equitable pricing on a global scale so ICEA certificants can flourish in the international community.
- You now get a 5% discount on all certification payments if you hold more than one ICEA certification so obtaining all your maternal-child health certifications through ICEA is more affordable.
- You will now pay 40% less* for combined certification and membership so you save money. (*Slightly varies depending on current certification and phase of certification cycle.)
- All forms and certification processes have been streamlined so the process is less confusing and complicated.
Changes to the Childbirth Educator Certification Program
- Traditional Pathway: You must observe 3 births before you take the exam instead of 2.
- Experienced Pathway: To qualify for this pathway, you must have been certified with ICEA or another recognized childbirth educator certification program within the last two years. Otherwise, you must enroll through the Traditional Pathway. Additionally, 6 position paper post-tests must be passed instead of 5.
- Recertification: You no longer need to observe other classes, have your classes observed, observe births, or complete a self-evaluation.
Changes to the Birth Doula Certification Program
- Exam: There is now an exam* for this certification to assure that ICEA is the GOLD standard of birth doula programs. (*If you enrolled in this program prior to July 20, 2017, you will still need to take the exam, but there will be no additional charge.)
- Exam Application: You will now have two years from the date of enrollment to provide all documentation to take the exam and become certified.
- Experienced Pathway: You no longer need to provide 2 letters of recommendation.
Changes to the Postpartum Doula Certification Program
- Exam Application: A resource list is no longer necessary to apply for the exam.
If you have questions about any of these changes, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me, the board, or staff. We are honored you chose ICEA as your certification body, and we’re excited about your participation in our streamlined certification process.
Please Note: During the transition period, prices reflected on the website for recertification are not necessarily equivalent to the fees that will be requested from you. Expect to see an email 90 days prior to your certification expiration with the correct fees listed. As always, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
The board and I are incredibly excited for this next step, and we are certain these programs will serve your needs. We look forward to working alongside you to improve birth outcomes for all families in the international community.
The International Childbirth Education Association (ICEA) is a professional organization that supports educators and health care professionals who believe in freedom to make decisions based on knowledge of alternatives in family-centered maternity and newborn care.