A comprehensive pricing outline for all of our programs can be found here.
Childbirth Educator Certification: Traditional Pathway
Certification Pathway Candidates
This certification pathway is the right choice for you if:
- You have little to no experience as a childbirth educator
- You are a layperson who is committed to helping childbearing families
- You are a doula, nurse, or other birth professionals who wants to expand your services to include childbirth classes
Previous experience as a perinatal nurse or childbirth educator does not exempt you from these requirements. While we recognize the value of experience, as a certifying organization we must maintain the standards that have been established and we do that by adhering to the requirements that are stated here.
- You are an experienced educator with no certification in the past two years.
Steps to Certification
The following steps must be completed within two years of entering the program. Candidates must FIRST enroll in the certification program and attend a workshop before completing the other steps.*
- Enroll in the certification program.
- Attend an ICEA Professional Childbirth Educator Workshop or register for the ICEA Childbirth Educator Online Workshop (additional fees required)
You may complete the first two steps in any order. (You may enroll in the program and then take the workshop or you may take the workshop and then enroll in the program.) Both of these first two steps must be completed before completing the other steps for certification. ICEA requires you to have some evidence-based learning and resources before teaching or attending births.
Please be aware that many of our trainers are willing to travel. You may contact them directly for details if you would like to bring a workshop to your area.
- Review the certification study guide and referenced readings (provided after enrollment)
- Complete an evaluated teaching series of at least six hours
*Evaluations must be completed by an ICEA Certified Professional.
- Observe a minimum of three labors and/or births
- Apply to take the certification examination
Equity Pricing for Certification Enrollment
ICEA’s certification pricing structure is a reflection of our goal to improve birth outcomes for all families in the international community. Find your country’s category here.
|Country Category||ICEA Enrollment Fee (USD)||Discounted ICEA Enrollment Fee (USD)|
if you are currently an ICEA Certified Birth Doula (ICBD) or an ICEA Certified Postpartum Doula (ICPD)
*If you enrolled before July 20, 2017, then the requirements you enrolled under still apply to your application.
*Payments made to ICEA are non-refundable. By choosing to enroll in this program you are accepting responsibility for the payment you make.*