Early Lactation Care Workshop
Check this page often. Workshops are continually being added.
Bring an ICEA Workshop to your city, click for information
This is a 1 ½ day workshop with didactic and interactive information, videos and offers 10.5 ICEA Continuing Education Units (CEUs). Topics discussed include- benefits of breastfeeding, correct latch, feeding frequency and duration, the role of skin to skin care, breastfeeding in special circumstances, maternal and newborn concerns, maintaining lactation when mother and infant are separated, The Baby Friendly Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding, breastfeeding teaching strategies.
Workshop objectives are:
1. Describe the anatomy and physiology of lactation
2. Explore the hormones which support lactation
3. Demonstrate correct latch and positioning
4. Discuss the importance of skin to skin care
5. Identify normal newborn feeding patterns
6. Discuss the request and supply process
7. Describe the support for the initiation of breastfeeding
8. Describe nursing interventions for common early concerns
9. Discuss expression when separated from the baby
10. Discuss breastfeeding in special circumstances