Certification Pathway Candidates
This certification pathway is the right choice for you if:
- You have little or no experience as a birth doula
- You are a layperson who is committed to helping childbearing families
- You are a nurse or other birth professional who wants to expand your services to include birth doula care
Steps to Certification
The following steps must be completed within two years of entering the program. Candidates must FIRST enroll in the certification program and attend a workshop before completing the other steps.*
- Enroll in the certification program
- Attend an ICEA Birth Doula and Labor Support Workshop or register for the ICEA Birth Doula Online Workshop (additional fees required)
You may complete the first two steps in any order. (You may enroll in the program and then take the workshop or you may take the workshop and then enroll in the program.) Both of these first two steps must be completed before completing the other steps for certification. ICEA requires you to have some evidence-based learning and resources before teaching.
- Review the certification study guide and referenced readings (provided after enrollment)
- Observe at least one childbirth education series (only if not already an ICCE)*
- Verify three labor support experiences of at least six hours each
- Apply to take the certification examination.
*Included as part of the ICEA online workshop