Certification Pathway Candidates
This certification pathway is the right choice for you if:
- You have little or no experience as a birth doula
- You are a layperson who is committed to helping childbearing families
- You are a nurse or other birth professional who wants to expand your services to include birth doula care
Steps to Certification
The following steps must be completed within two years of entering the program. Candidates must FIRST enroll in the certification program and attend a workshop before completing the other steps.*
- Enroll in the certification program
- Attend an ICEA Birth Doula and Labor Support Workshop or register for the ICEA Birth Doula Online Workshop (additional fees required)
- Review the certification study guide and referenced readings (provided after enrollment)
- Observe at least one childbirth education series (only if not already an ICCE)*
- Verify three labor support experiences of at least six hours each
- Apply to take the certification examination.
*Included as part of the ICEA online workshop
Equity Pricing for Certification Enrollment
ICEA’s certification pricing structure is a reflection of our goal to improve birth outcomes for all families in the international community. Find your country’s category here.
||ICEA Enrollment Fee (USD)
||Discounted ICEA Enrollment Fee (USD)
if you are currently an ICEA Certified Childbirth Educator (ICCE) or an ICEA Certified Postpartum Doula (ICPD)
*If you enrolled before July 20, 2017, then the requirements you enrolled under still apply to your application.
*Payments made to ICEA are non-refundable. By choosing to enroll in this program you are accepting responsibility for the payment you make.*
For answers to all your certification questions, please visit our FAQ page.