Certification Pathway Candidates
This certification pathway is the right choice for you if:
- You have little to no experience as a childbirth educator
- You are a layperson who is committed to helping childbearing families
- You are a doula, nurse, or other birth professional who wants to expand your services to include childbirth classes
Steps to Certification
The following steps must be completed within two years of entering the program. Candidates must FIRST enroll in the certification program and attend a workshop before completing the other steps.*
- Enroll in the certification program.
- Attend an ICEA Professional Childbirth Educator Workshop or register for the ICEA Childbirth Educator Online Workshop (additional fees required)
ICEA is committed to current, evidence-based research. In order to honor that commitment we have temporarily discontinued our online workshop until updates are completed. Thank you for your understanding.
Please be aware that many of our trainers are willing to travel. You may contact them directly for details if you would like to bring a workshop to your area.
- Review the certification study guide and referenced readings (provided after enrollment)
- Complete an evaluated teaching series of at least six hours
- Observe a minimum of three labors and/or births
- Apply to take the certification examination
Equity Pricing for Certification Enrollment
ICEA’s certification pricing structure is a reflection of our goal to improve birth outcomes for all families in the international community. Find your country’s category here.
||ICEA Enrollment Fee (USD)
||Discounted ICEA Enrollment Fee (USD)
if you are currently an ICEA Certified Birth Doula (ICBD) or an ICEA Certified Postpartum Doula (ICPD)
*If you enrolled before July 20, 2017, then the requirements you enrolled under still apply to your application.
*Payments made to ICEA are non-refundable. By choosing to enroll in this program you are accepting responsibility for the payment you make.*
For answers to all your certification questions, please visit our FAQ page.