In 2008 the International MotherBaby Childbirth Organization (IMBCO) launched the International MotherBaby Childbirth Initiative (IMBCI): 10 Steps to Optimal Maternity Care. In 2014 FIGO launched its own initiative, the FIGO Guidelines to Mother-Baby-Friendly Birthing Services. The similarities in these two initiatives led us to join forces to merge them into what is now called the International Optimal Childbirth Initiative: 12 Steps to MotherBaby-Family-Friendly Maternity Care Services. This presentation describes the IOCI, its history, and its Foundational Principles and 12 Steps, as well as our plans for dissemination and implementation of those 12 Steps in birthing facilities worldwide.
- Track: Collaboration
- Presentation Level: Beginner/Intermediate
- Identify 3 cultural birth practices in China
- List 3 cultural barriers that impact healthy birth outcomes
- The Participant will share 3 ways in which ICEA is impacting our global membership
- The participant will be exposed to 3 technology APPS that can be identified and used to successfully work with English as a second language Learner (ESL)
Retired manager of Childbirth Education & Doula Services for the largest delivering hospital in the state of Iowa. Specialty areas include a Master’s in Education, Bachelors of Science in Family, Consumer, and Health Education, certified in International Childbirth Education (ICEA) and Lamaze International. Has taught more than 3610 couples in childbirth education since 1991. Has conducted ICEA workshops in China and the USA to help more than 500 individuals start their career as Professional Childbirth Educators and/or Birth Doulas. In 2016, began serving on the ICEA board as the director of education. In 2017, I retired from my role as the Childbirth Education and Doula Coordinator to pursue my love of teaching and traveling.