Certification Pathway Candidates
This certification pathway is the right choice for you if:
- You have little to no experience as a birth doula.
- You are a layperson who is committed to helping childbearing families.
- You are a nurse or other birth professional who wants to expand your services to include birth doula care.
Steps to Certification
The following steps must be completed within two years of enrolling in the program. Candidates must FIRST enroll in the certification program and attend a workshop before completing the other steps.*
- Enroll in the certification program.
- Attend an ICEA Birth Doula and Labor Support Workshop or register to attend an ICEA online class (additional fees required).
- Review the certification study guide and referenced readings (provided after enrollment).
- Observe at least one childbirth education series (only if not already an ICCE).*
- Verify three labor support experiences of at least six hours each.
- Apply to take the certification examination.
*Included as part of the ICEA online workshop
Equity Pricing for Certification Enrollment
ICEA’s certification pricing structure is a reflection of our goal to improve birth outcomes for all families in the international community. Find your country’s category here.
||ICEA Fee (USD)
if you hold one ICEA certification
|2017 Fee (USD)
with 5% discount
if you hold an additional ICEA certification
*If you enrolled before July 20, 2017, then the requirements you enrolled under still apply to your application.
For answers to all your certification questions, please visit our FAQ page.